Saturday, October 8, 2016

October 8 - Sydney Opera House and Getting on the Ship


Blaise Says . . .

Ok, I shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, the Shangri-La sounds terrible but that’s the furthest thing from the truth, the place is phenomenal, the room was fantastic and the bed was one of the best I’ve ever slept in, the view of the Opera House was surreal, I highly recommend it if you ever want to come to Sydney.  It’s a bit pricey but with a 1.6 conversion rate it’s not that bad, about $320 a night, worth every penny.

We had a 10am Opera House tour that was extremely well done, the guide, we’ll call him Steve, mainly because he said it was Steve when we started, was a 5’ portly Aussie that truly loved the place and his exuberance was infectious.  He made me laugh almost immediately.  I really got into it when Steve handed out the radio sets and told us how to operate the one input/output plug (marked with a pictogram of a headset) while explaining that the one additional item you could change was the volume via the -/+ on the front face plate, without a second of silence, some middle aged Aussie asked “So how do you change the volume?”, Steve stares and says I used to be a school teacher, and there’s always one, the smart ass gentleman say, you knew someone was going to ask, I just figured we’d get it out of the way.  The rest of the tour was these two children mucking it up, it was greatness on every level.  I could totally relate, but more on the tie back later.

On with the tour… the place is absolutely phenomenal, according to Steve, the winning architecture was actually one that was rejected initially but retrieved when the one committee member not in attendance during the judging decided to go through all of the 238 submissions rather than just the definitely and maybe piles that he was given upon his return.  He brought it out of the rejects and convinced the other committee members that it should be the top contender.  Why had it been rejected, they thought it couldn’t be built, he convinced them otherwise, how close one of the most iconic buildings, on par with the likes of Petra and the Great Wall, could have fallen to the fate of being deemed too difficult to be built, unbelievable.  It was only supposed to take 3 years and 7 million dollars to build, it actually took 14 and 103 million when it was all done.  It is fully self sufficient but it does get a government stipend, that struck me as an oxymoron but I didn’t pursue it further…  Here’s the irony, the architect that built it came to Australia to build it but after 7 years and many cost overruns a new Minister of Works was brought in that was a polar opposite of the architect and they had a falling out and the architect offered his resignation, it was accepted and he went back to Denmark to never see the completion of the project.  The hatred was so strong that after 7 additional years, the Minister did not extend an invitation for the opening in 1973.  In 1999 they asked him to return and make some additional modifications to which he turned them down flatly, he did however send his son who remains the  resident architect and oversees any and all modifications to the building to this day.  It’s a must see experience up there with Petra and Smithsonian in DC, it’s too incredible to miss!!

The only other highlight of the day was getting to the cruise ship from our hotel, now picture this, it is exactly 11 minutes and 47 seconds, yes I timed it, from our hotel to the cruise ship doc.  My wife, your buddy Ami, tries to convince me that we should get a taxi because there is a side street that has a hill with stairs that looked challenging.  Now mind you it was so close, 1.6km that I doubted a cabby would even take that fair, but it was “all downhill”, I finally won the argument with the end all be all, “I will take both the bags, you just walk down”.   That’s not how it worked out and she did concede after we got checked in at the cruise terminal that she was definitely wrong for making it out to be such a big deal.  I was thankful that she recognized the need to be self sufficient on vacation, at least to the extent possible.  The rest of the day was spent reading an excellent leadership book called The Leaders Code by something Campbell, really very good. 

We did get our own two topper but it’s wedged between a pair of curmudgeons who got the window and a 4 topper, I’m curious to know if they really are as bad as last night’s exploits would have me believe but we’ll see tonight.

Observation of the day… We went to our muster station at 5p last night where at some point the announcer says, wait for it, “in the event of a real abandon ship you would come to your muster station, on deck 5, you are on deck 5 right now, to go outside and board the life rafts”.  Really, you had to remind these people what deck they were on?  We flew half way around the world on planes, trains and automobiles to get here, if you don’t know what deck you’re on how did you find the ship in Sydney?  I suspect we might very well be the only survivors on the lifeboat if it comes to that, and by the way, I’m not going inside the photo gallery so they can lead me outside to get into my lifeboat, I’ll be the guy working the controls to get it deployed… just sayin’!!!


Ami Says  . . .

What a great day!

We got on the boat today – the Celebrity Solstice. This is our first time sailing at the Elite status. We took a 2 day cruise in a suite from Florida to the Bahamas back in February just to get there.  One of the perks is we each get 90 minutes free internet.  The hope is with 3 hours of internet between the two of us we can post these blogs which have been pretty boring up to this point.

It is actually Sunday, the day after the day the day we are talking about and we are sitting in the very quiet Solarium on a mostly cloudy day. No rain, just clouds.  The Solarium is an enclosed adults-only pool area which is generally more quiet and today, warmer than the outside pool area.

Now back to yesterday.  We woke up in our Shangri La Hotel room very well-rested.  That is the best sleep I have had in months! The bed was so comfy I told Blaise we need to ask them what kind it is an buy one.  Which led back to the discussion of queen versus king sized bed.  I’m fine with a queen size whereas Blaise really wants a king.  But that is a blog for a different day.

About a month ago, I scheduled and purchased a tour of the Sydney Opera House right before we were to get on the boat.  Then Celebrity sends us multiple texts and e-mails telling us due to the small facility where we embark, we needed to check in between 11:30 and 12:30.  Our tour was scheduled for 10 so I was unsure we were going to make it in the pescribed window but what were they going to do?  Tell their newly minted Elite Captain’s Club members they weren’t getting on the boat after spending nearly 30 hours on planes and airports to get to Australia?  I think not!

While we were getting ready to go to the Opera House, Blaise mentioned skipping the tour. My response:  Hell no!  My satisfaction was sweet after the tour when he relunctantly said he was glad we went, after my prompting, of course.

The Sydney Opera House is incredible!  You have to go if you get down this way.  My regret 10 minutes into the tour was that we did not attend a performance while we were here.  Massive fail!  And, they are currently running their best selling show of all, the Julie Andrew directed My Fair Lady.  I’m still sick to my stomach we missed that.  The Opera House has six venues/theaters, we saw four of them; the opera house, concert hall, drama theater, and a venue with a stage in the center with seating above and level with the stage on all four sides.  The latter is where they show their most unusual, artsy offerings.  The acoustic technology that went into each theater is astounding! The concert hall has a pipe organ with 138 pipes showing in the theater and thousands in the back totally 10,200 pipes ranging in size from 3 stories high to as small as the tip of your pinky finger to your first knuckle.  Right now they are showing Back To the Future on the screen with an orchestra playing the music as the movie is showing.  They have done this for various other movies like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Again, great regrets on my part.  If I am able, I will post pictures on the blog.  Just not sure I have the internet time.

We got to the boat to check in around 11:30 so it all worked out.  But the embarkation process was a bit sucky and took way too long.  But we got on.

I find the muster process interesting.  There are always people there with no clue what is going on.  It’s not like it used to be years back when you grab your big bulky orange life jacket and head out to the deck by your assigned rescue boat. Now, you just head to your “muster station” inside the boat, usually in a lounge or bar, have someone check off your cabin number on a list as you walk in,  and listen to the distress and abandon ship signals  as well as someone explaining things on a speaker after which you watch a video. Oh, the thrill of it. Especially having to listen to all of it in multiple languages – English, then German, then Spanish, and then some Asian language – I couldn’t ascertain exactly which one.  The fun part is watching the one or two people wearing the big orange life vests even though they’ve been told at least three times they don’t need to wear them.  This time, we had zero.  I was so disappointed.  We did have several folks who managed not to get their room numbers checked off the list as they walked into the muster station.  Not sure you miss the person with the big clipboard grabbing people as they walk in asking for their cabin numbers.  But apparently it happens. One woman sitting in front of us freaked out when her cabin number was called as one of those who failed to check in.  Thought she was going to stroke out as she hopped up trying to make sure they knew she was there.

For some reason they shoved some of us in a side room of the photo area with no access to the video so we were told to “listen with our ears” as if there were another way to listen.  We were also told the ship could rock from time to time and to be cautious, careful to hold on to rails and take one step at a time.  Blaise and I just looked at each other – is there another way to walk?  After thinking about it, I think he meant to take one stair step at a time, but it was not obvious the way he said it.

We always do the late dinner – 8:30 PM.  We had scoped it out earlier to see where we were sitting.  We are isolationists and would much prefer a table for two and not with a bunch of people we don’t know.  We have had good and bad experiences in the past sitting with strangers so we would much prefer to sit alone, knowing what company we have.  We are fascinating folks. We did have a table for 2 but only inches away from another 2-topper and a 4-topper on the other side.  For the 4-topper, only 2 people showed up for dinner and rather than sitting in the two chairs farther away from us, they sat in the ones closest to our table.  The couples on either side of us were Australian.  I believe we are the minority on the boat as Americans.  The man sitting next to Blaise was some high-strung balding guy clearly worried about everything.  He must have read that wine list for a good 20 minutes and was annoyed when the sommelier wasn’t there when he was ready to order his wine.  I though the guy was going go off on someone.  Chill out dude! You are on vacation!

The most disappointing part of dinner is that Celebrity reduced the number of courses from 4 down to three.  They used to have appetizers, soup/salad, entrée, and dessert.  They combined the appetizers and the soup/salad into one course.  I did stew about that a bit at dinner, but was pleasantly revived when we went back to our room and the chocolate on the pillow was reinstated (that didn’t happen on our last Celebrity cruise).
All in all a great day! LOVE Sydney! Love the Australians!  And I am finally feeling as though I am on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment